Monday, May 11, 2009

Grateful to my Pastor

So, for several years now I had it in my heart to talk to my pastor about Mother's Day. Every year as it approaches I think I will do it, but I never felt like it was the right moment or if I would even know what to say. But, this year, having just led a Bible study of women who are also dealing with infertility, I felt like I needed to speak for all of us. So, I wrote him a heartfelt e-mail describing how difficult this day is for us. I asked him if he could please just say a prayer for us and help us feel a part of the church community for once on Mother's Day, it wouldn't be so painful.

We went to church Saturday night because we thought it would be easier. They did the Most Mature Mother, and the Newest Mother. Then, the pastor asked all the mothers to stand. What?! I actually mentioned to him how that was so painful when he does that. I couldn't believe he was doing it again. But, then, he said, "But before I pray for the Mothers, I would like one other group of women to stand with them. If you are a wife who has not been able to have a child yet, please join these women in standing. I would like to pray for you."

I was so touched. He listened and he did something that finally made me feel like I was being honored, belonged and was loved on this day I dread all year. Even though this is my first Mother's Day since we stopped trying to find a way to be parents, it was so much better because of that one small gesture. I am so grateful to him for what he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment